ENGAGEMENT

WEDDINGS

FAmily

categories

India Street Photography During the Holi Festival | Vinson Images

Street photography has always been something that I really enjoyed doing, but don’t have the ability to do very often. I always have my camera on my side, grabbing images here and there as they pop up during my day to day activities, but its very rare that I go out with the sole intention to shoot street photography. This is even more true when it comes to vacations. Things are planned, there is a schedule, and not everyone is willing to sit around and wait 30 minutes for you to make an image. But recently I had the opportunity to go to India for some work through fstoppers.com (more on that coming), and with this trip I had the opportunity to visit a few different locations throughout India, shooting street photography being the only item on the agenda. Already sounding like the perfect trip, there was the added bonus of being there for the Holi festival.

For those that don’t know, the Holi festival (or festival of colors) takes place every year in India to celebrate the beginning of spring and the triumph of good over evil. The way this is celebrated is by throwing colored powder, smearing the color across peoples faces, throwing colored water, dancing, praying, laughing, and having an all around good time. If you stand out as a tourist, you are guaranteed to get covered from head to toe in color and be soaked wet, numerous times throughout the day.

For the trip, I traveled down alone and met my new found German friend, Marc and local guide/friend/amazing person Raj. Location wise, we spent the majority of our time in and around Mathura, which happens to be the heart of the Holi celebrations. The main locations we hit were the Banke Bihari Temple, Radha Rani Temple, Daugi Temple, and Kesi Ghat. Some of the celebrations were really intense and some of them were more happy, yet mellow. I compare one temple to being in the mosh pit of a heavy metal concert, while another is like being on the lawn of a sold out Dave Mathews concert.  Beyond that, you just add colored powder and water.

The below images are my favorites from the trip! I tried really hard to narrow them down so there weren’t too many to go through, but I still ended up with 76 images. I guess that’s what happens when you shoot in a place like India for almost 2 weeks! For our fellow photographer friends, all images were taken on the Fuji X-Pro2 or Fuji X-T2 with the Fuji 23mm f/2 lens. Most images where taken with the X-T2 inside of an Aquatech underwater housing to protect the gear from the colored powder and water.

Hope you enjoy!

As you can see, I had an awesome time and highly recommend traveling to India for the Holi festival if you ever have the opportunity!

Comments

1. Rahul

March 28th, 2017 at 10:03 am

There are truly incredible! Such good work, some of the best photo’s i’ve seen taken in India!

2. Martin Makowski

March 28th, 2017 at 2:02 pm

So many great shots! Well done!

3. Renee

March 28th, 2017 at 4:16 pm

Wow! Incredible display of your talent! I’m always so inspired by your work! Keep it up J!

4. Renee

March 28th, 2017 at 4:18 pm

Wow! Such an incredible display of your talents! I’m always so inspired by your work, keep it up J!

5. Vinson Images

April 3rd, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Thank you so much Renee! 🙂

6. Fstoppers Reviews the Aquatech Underwater Housing for the Fujifilm X-T2 – InternetPhotographyClasses.com

March 31st, 2017 at 10:07 pm

[…] are a handful of images I took while using this housing, or you can see my full blog post here. If you have any questions, sound off in the […]

7. Pedro

April 1st, 2017 at 9:51 pm

Nice! Btw you should resize the header of this site, it’s height is way to high.

8. Vinson Images

April 3rd, 2017 at 4:35 pm

Hey Pedro! I’m not sure what you mean by the header. Maybe send me a screenshot and I’ll be happy to fix what I can. From our view, on mobile or desktop it appears fine. Thank you!

9. Christina craft

April 3rd, 2017 at 4:25 pm

Wow. Your work is incredible. I’m a big photography dork and I do experimental stuff as well. The process of how we all capture really cool nerdy pictures is something I love. A friend of mine recommended I start following you. I see others have discovered you way before me. But I’m so glad I found my way here. I am a new fan and a new stalker.

10. Vinson Images

April 3rd, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Thank you so much! We love new stalkers! 🙂 We appreciate the feedback and looking forward to seeing some of your experimental things!

11. Extreme Fujifilm X-T2 Abuse | Fuji Addict

April 6th, 2017 at 6:14 am

[…] Vinson Images – Images from the Aquatech Underwater Housing Review […]

12. Bhavik Solanki

April 18th, 2017 at 12:27 pm

Thank you for sharing this wonderful information. I like it. Wonderful

13. Manish Drolia

April 22nd, 2017 at 2:55 am

Beautiful images, beautifully captured. Few of the best images of Holi, I have seen, equivalent to colourful images of Holi at Spanish fork USA.
    For me, these are not just good images, but much more. I am associated with promotion of Holi festival all around the world since last 15 years.
    Keep it up.
    Manish Drolia
    droliainternational@gmail.com

14. Magdelina

April 23rd, 2017 at 4:46 am

I might be benatig a dead horse, but thank you for posting this!

15. Kenny

April 27th, 2017 at 1:05 am

Seriously incredible pictures. So awesome that you started doing this full time. You will be a star!

16. Vinson Images

May 1st, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Thanks man! We appreciate it!

17. J. La Plante Photo

May 2nd, 2017 at 5:36 pm

These are breathtaking! The color and the action and the perspective are all on point!

18. Shooting the Holi Festival in India with a Fuji X-T2 and Underwater Housing – Photography News World

June 8th, 2017 at 3:38 pm

[…] You can find more of my images from this trip in this post on my blog. […]

19. Rajesh Parikh

June 8th, 2017 at 4:35 pm

Inspiring work. You are truly talented. Will look forward to seeing more of your pictures. Amazing.

20. L'Holi festival fotografato con un cage subacqueo: risultato spettacolare!

June 9th, 2017 at 5:11 pm

[…] un viaggio di lavoro in India, il fotografo di matrimoni Jason Vinson ha trovato un po’ di tempo per dedicarsi alla street photography. E l’occasione […]